web analytics

Who Qualifies For Raf Claim In South Africa?

Quick Summary

The Road Accident Fund (RAF) in South Africa provides cover for individuals who have been injured or killed in a road accident. This includes drivers, passengers, pedestrians, cyclists, and motorcyclists, as well as dependants of the victims. To make a successful claim, it is important to report the accident, gather the necessary documentation, and submit the claim within the prescribed time limit. While it is possible to claim from the RAF without a lawyer, it is advisable to seek legal assistance to navigate the claims process and ensure a fair settlement.


The Road Accident Fund (RAF) in South Africa is a state-supported insurance fund that provides cover to all road users in the event of a road accident. It serves as an important safety net for individuals who have been injured or killed due to negligent driving on South African roads.

Accidents can happen at any time and often result in physical, emotional, and financial hardships for those involved. The RAF aims to alleviate some of these burdens by providing financial assistance and support to eligible claimants.

Understanding who qualifies for a RAF claim is crucial as it ensures that victims receive the necessary compensation they deserve. Whether you are a driver (excluding the one responsible for causing the accident), passenger, pedestrian, cyclist, motorcyclist or someone dependent on the income of an individual who died in an accident – knowing your rights under this scheme can make all difference during such challenging times.

In this blog post, we will delve into more detail about who exactly qualifies for a RAF claim so that you can be informed and prepared should unfortunate circumstances arise.

Who Qualifies for a RAF Claim?

In South Africa, the Road Accident Fund (RAF) provides cover and financial assistance to individuals who have been injured or killed in a road accident. If you have been involved in a serious motor vehicle accident caused by negligent driving, you may be eligible to make a claim from the RAF.

1. Drivers (excluding the driver who caused the accident)

As long as you were not at fault for causing the accident, you can submit a claim with supporting evidence.

2. Passengers

Whether you were traveling in another person’s vehicle or public transport when an accident occurred, passengers are entitled to seek compensation through filing claims with appropriate documentation.

3. Pedestrians

If you were walking on foot and got hit by any type of motorized vehicle due to someone else’s negligence while crossing roads or sidewalks legally designated for pedestrians’ use only, then it is possible that your injuries could entitle you to eligibility under this fund too!

4. Individuals dependent on income from deceased victims

The RAF also extends its coverage towards those who depended financially on someone whose life was tragically lost during an automobile collision – such as children relying upon their parents’ earnings or spouses/cohabiting partners reliant solely upon one another’s support system before tragedy struck unexpectedly.

Additionally, it is important to note that cyclists and motorcyclists are also covered under these provisions if they meet specific criteria outlined within legislation governing road accidents funds distribution throughout our country.

How to Make a RAF Claim

Making a claim with the Road Accident Fund (RAF) in South Africa involves several important steps. By following these procedures, you can increase your chances of receiving compensation for injuries sustained or losses incurred due to a road accident.

1. Report the Accident:

The first step is to report the accident as soon as possible. Contacting law enforcement authorities and obtaining an official police report will provide crucial documentation for your claim.

2. Gather Necessary Documentation:

To support your RAF claim, gather all relevant documents related to the accident and its aftermath:

  • Medical Records: Obtain medical reports detailing any injuries sustained during the incident.
  • Receipts and Invoices: Keep track of all expenses associated with medical treatment, rehabilitation services, medication costs, transportation fees for hospital visits, etc.
  • Witness Statements: If there were witnesses present at the scene who can testify about what happened or confirm negligence on behalf of another party involved in causing the accident – their statements could strengthen your case.

3. Submitting Your Claim:

Complete and sign an appropriate RAF claim form accurately providing details regarding yourself (as either driver/passenger/pedestrian), circumstances surrounding the collision/incident including date/time/location/cause/nature/severity/injuries suffered by parties involved along with supporting evidence such as photographs if available should be attached too before submitting it within prescribed time limits set forth by legislation governing this process which are typically three years from when one becomes aware that they have grounds upon which legal action may lie against responsible person(s).

4. Adhering To Time Limits:

It’s essential not only complete but also submit claims promptly since failure do so might result nullification thereof rendering them void hence no longer eligible consideration under current regulations thus losing out potential benefits entitled through successful litigation proceedings pursued via court system where necessary; therefore adhering strictly stipulated deadlines ensures eligibility remains intact throughout entire duration until final resolution reached ensuring fair settlement achieved.

5. Seeking Legal Assistance:

While it is possible to claim from the RAF without legal representation, employing an attorney who specializes in RAF claims can greatly assist you throughout the process. They have a deep understanding of the complex procedures and regulations involved, ensuring that your rights are protected and maximizing your chances of receiving fair compensation.

Adams & Adams is one such law firm specializing in Road Accident Fund claims within South Africa. With their expertise and experience, they can provide valuable guidance on navigating through this often intricate system while advocating for your best interests.

By following these steps and seeking professional assistance when needed, you will be well-equipped to make a successful RAF claim in South Africa.

Frequently Asked Questions

Question 1: What types of expenses are covered by the RAF?

The Road Accident Fund (RAF) provides cover for various expenses related to a road accident. These include medical expenses, funeral expenses, compensation for pain and suffering, lost earnings due to disability or inability to work, as well as loss of support in cases where an individual depended on the income of someone who died in the accident.

Question 2: How long does it take to receive a settlement from the RAF?

The time taken to receive a settlement from the RAF can vary depending on several factors such as complexity of your claim and availability of supporting documentation. Generally, it is advisable that you consult with an attorney specializing in RAF claims who will guide you through this process. They will be able provide more accurate timelines based on their experience handling similar cases.

Question 3: Can I claim from the RAF if the accident was partially my fault?

Yes, even if you were partially at fault for causing or contributing towards an accident, you may still be eligible to make a claim against the Road Accident Fund (RAF). However, the amount awarded might be reduced proportionately to reflect your level of responsibility for the accident. This concept is known as “contributory negligence”. It’s important to note that each case is unique, and it would be best to discuss the particulars of your situation with an experienced attorney who specializes in Road Accident Fund claims. They will advise you on how contributory negligence could affect your claim and what compensation you may expect to receive.

Question 4: What happens if the driver who caused the accident is unknown?

If the driver who caused the road accident is known as the “hit-and-run driver”, or cannot be found, it does not mean that you do not have any recourse. The Road Accident Fund (RAF) has provisions to assist victims in such situations. You can still make a claim against the RAF, provided that you report the crime to the police and obtain a copy of the report. You will also need to follow the normal procedure for lodging a claim with the RAF and submit all the required documentation. The RAF will investigate the incident, and if they are satisfied that it was indeed a hit-and-run accident, you may be eligible for compensation.

Question 5: Can I claim from the RAF if the accident occurred outside of South Africa?

No, unfortunately, the Road Accident Fund (RAF) only provides cover for accidents that occur within South African borders. If you were involved in an accident outside South Africa, it would be best to seek legal advice from an attorney who specializes in international personal injury claims. They will support you through this process and advise you on how to pursue a complaint or seek compensation through relevant channels based on the laws of the particular country where your accident occurred.


  1. https://www.westerncape.gov.za/service/what-do-if-you%E2%80%99ve-been-involved-road-accident
  2. https://www.mondaq.com/southafrica/personal-injury/1126190/who-qualifies-for-road-accident-fund-claim
  3. https://www.gov.uk/guidance/medals-campaigns-descriptions-and-eligibility

Latest Questions Answered